Saturday, July 24, 2004

Sailing Last Week

     Last week on a Thursday, it was my second time taking sailing lessons at Pier 26. The week before that, I could not sail for the waters were too choppy and the two boats that went out had both capsized. The boats are only about three feet wide and four feet in length and were also made of hard plastic, so they were beginners boats. Last week, I was able to sail.

     When I got on the boat, I noticed there was a spider, I doubt he or she made it through. When I got on the boat the boom, the pole which the sail connects to (by the way the boom was in a shape of an upside down triangle) , was taking over the boat. So you had to put your head down. When my counsellor got on the boat he told me to pull on the rope which pulls the sail out. So I did (remember I'm still looking down). When I looked up I was 11 yards away from the dock.

      The boom the swayed to the starboard side (the right). So this time I could stop crouching down. The sailing was fun, my counsellor (by the way everybody on a boat had a counsellor, and three went at a time) taught me some sailing terms. He also told me to keep my head down since the boom is going to switch sides fast. When I did so, I did not put it down enough for when the boom came it hit the surface of my head and swiped my cap off. Luckily, the cap only was on a side of the boat.

      A few minutes later, there was some water going onto the boat, then more water came onto the bow, so, I had to move to the stern. The bow then jumped up out of the water and we were fine. What was really bad though, was that the boat was moving towards the piling on Pier 27. Suddenly, we were surrounded by the pilings. That's when someone named Colin or some other name. He was on a kayak and helped us by taking the mooring rope from the bow and started to kayak toward the dock on Pier 26. Even my teacher went on a kayak and also kayaked toward us but we were then fine when he came.

      So, that was my fun day sailing! 

   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home