Thursday, February 26, 2004

Going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Today I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art with my French teacher Catherine. We went there to go look at Impressionist paintings by Impressionist painters. We went to the 19th century gallery. There were paintings by Van Gough, Monet, Cezanne, Manet, Seurat, etc. If you look at all the different pieces of Impressionist paintings by the artists you can tell that each artist painted differently.

For example, Van Gogh would paint more with curves.

Monet would paint of things that were always outside and that his paintings were very well done that he didn't need to draw the sun's reflection on the water to show that it was outside.

Seurat would paint with small dabs with the brush, or should I say dots of colors.

Renoir would paint things outside, like the country side of France, and of rich people. Well, I wouldn't say "Rich people" but more to express the outer side of people.

Edgar Degas would paint ballet subjects and also just people.

Paul Cezanne painted things lightly in a way.

Gauguin would paint things with boundaries using black and the people he would paint would be kind of "big" looking but looking more with strength.

When you look close up of paintings of Impressionism you can see the body of a person is used with not pink but pink with orange, red, blue, purple, etc. When me and my teacher Catherine were listening to a Museum instructor was asking a group of teenage students somehow made me tired of hearing it over and over. The question which is usually recognized when someone is showing art is "What do you see in the painting?" of course they had to answer but I noticed the instructor from the MET did not once mention what my french teacher Catherine would mention. Which is of what I said about the artists and close up you can see every color that was used in the painting not pink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home